Welcome to rhubarb season
It’s not a long period but it’s definitely a delicious one. Spring offers so many colors and flavors that make me want to have them all at once.
But I decided for rhubarb. This time 😉
I have to admit, the idea of baking with rhubarb took some time. It’s not as easy as baking with strawberries for example. And if you have never done it before I absolutely understand your concerns. But that’s why I came up with this super easy vegan recipe. It’s with an additional layer on top! A baked cream cheese. Feel free to give it a try!
This one is super easy, vegan and full of flavor!
- 250 g rhubarb ⎪for the base
- 150 g flour (I used spelt) ⎪for the base
- 90 g coconut blossom sugar (substitute with regular) ⎪for the base
- 85 ml freshly boiled water ⎪for the base
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds ⎪for the base
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil ⎪for the base
- 1 tsp baking powder ⎪for the base
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk (I used oat) ⎪for the base
- 1/2 tsp ground tonka bean (or vanilla powder) ⎪for the base
- 300 g vegan cream cheese ⎪for the cream cheese layer
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds ⎪for the cream cheese layer
- 3 tbsp freshly boiled water ⎪for the cream cheese layer
- 50 g coconut blossom sugar (substitute with regular) ⎪for the cream cheese layer
- 1 pk vanilla pudding powder (organic & vegan) ⎪for the cream cheese layer
- powdered sugar
- almond pieces
Preheat your oven to 180℃/350℉. Grease a round cake tin (⌀ 8inch / 20 cm). Set aside.
Take a small bowl and combine 85ml freshly boiled water and 3 tbsp ground flaxseed. Mix well. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients for the base.
In a second bowl mix all the wet ingredients for the base including the flax-egg (flaxseed mixture).
Fold the wet mixture and the dry mixture together. Fill into your baking tin and set aside.
Wash, peel and cut the rhubarb into bite-sized pieces. Cover your cake with these and press the pieces gently into the batter.
In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp freshly boiled water for the cream cheese layer. Let sit for a few minutes to form a gel.
Take a large bowl and mix all the ingredients for the cream cheese layer together. Use a hand mixer for that. Combine well and add to your cake on top.
Put the cake into the oven and bake for about 55 minutes.
Once it's done, let cool down for approx. 10 minutes before getting it out of the tin. After that let cool completely. Serve with powdered sugar and almond pieces. Enjoy 😊
Don't forget to tag me @therawberry and use #therawberryeats over on instagram so I can reshape you shot! And I'd love to see your recreations. 😉
If you make this recipe I’d be super happy (as always) to see your recreations.
Simply tag me over on Instagram @therawberry. I am looking forward to see your picture.
All the best,